Buying Auto Show Carpet

>> Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I haven't made a post in this blog lately, so guess I'll try to talk about my experience buying some used carpet from the auto show last Thursday. I saw on the news that Mcnabb's Flooring was selling the used carpet from the auto show for 22 cents a square foot. I needed some carpet for the finished attic I just got done with. So I went there at 8:00 AM Thursday thinking I would get ahead of the crowd. To my surprise when I arrived, there was about 200 hundred people already there. After quickly finding a place to park, I got inside the store and received ticket number 139. Thinking to myself, (I remember hearing that they will serve 400 people per day), I thought that it might only take 3 or 4 hours waiting for my turn to pick out some carpet. Boy, was I wrong! I didn't get out of that store until 7:00PM, which means I was there for 7 hours. Anyway it was worth the wait, because I saved over $1,400 on that carpet. Now my next task is to either hire someone to install it or rent the tools and install it myself. If I ever decide to buy used auto show carpet there again, I'll make sure I'm there at 7:00AM at least. Then maybe I'll only have 2 or 3 hour wait.

2 comments:

Lin February 6, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

Sometimes the personal time isn't worth the savings--well, to me anyway. I would rather pay full price for something than battle 300 other people for it. Now, I have a friend who LOVES doing that kind of stuff for a bargain. Sounds like you are in the latter category. Good for you!! That's a huge savings.

Unknown January 21, 2010 at 2:42 PM  

I work for a flooring store (Michigan Lakes Flooring) and we also sell used auto show carpet. We don't advertise in the paper or with radio commercials. We advertise on craigslist and no one ever has to wait in line. They call us and let us know when they can come out and we're there to meet them or have there carpet waiting for their arrival. People should try looking for their bargains by other means then by radio advertisments.


  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP