Property Taxable Value

>> Thursday, March 12, 2009

When I received my Notice of Assessment for property taxes in the mail this year I noticed for the second year in row that my assessed value from last year went down and my taxable value from last year went up. How can this happen?, I asked myself. I was already to file an appeal with The Board of Review, then I decided to see if I could get this question answered by Googling my question on the Internet. I found the answer but it still doesn't make any sense to me. At least I know its not a mistake. The government of Michigan knows this law defies all logic but it would take a vote by the full legislature to change it. Something that's not going to happen I'm afraid because our government would lose a great amount of money if they did. I guess all of us in Michigan will just have to accept this rip-off by our government. Anyone who would like to see the Explanation of Proposal A can go to the following link. http://www.clintontownship-mi.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=qmgb1egTtGM=&tabid=56. I just wanted to add that I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes, but I think the explanation should at least make sense. One more thing. If 5% of the population makes 95% of the money, then they should at least pay 95% of the taxes. Thats only fair, and if it takes big government to make that happen, I'm all for big government.
Added Note: I was wrong about 5% of the population making 95% of the income. But here is a fact: In the United States today, the wealthiest 1% of the population owns more than the bottom 95 %. The top 5 % make about half of all combined income. But still the same, if the top 1% owns 95% of everything in the US, then they should pay 95% of the taxes.

4 comments:

Anonymous March 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM  

Hi Bob! So how is it going with the house sale thing? Any bites?

As for those who want Dems etc to regret voting for Obama, I also find it extremely interesting that the GOPers are so bitter - the man has been in office barely three months...in fact they started before he even took the oath of office.

He can do nothing right, they clearly think. I forget what GOP blogger it was I was reading the other day who actually that, "should the economy come right, it will certainly not be because of Obama, but in spite of him?"

I really fail to understand the hate coming from some of your fellow countrymen right now.

Anonymous March 16, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

Oh, my internet connection is so bad now it could not even load your EC widget, so I am unable to drop. Next time then.

Anonymous March 17, 2009 at 6:16 PM  

I'm also from Michigan and our SEV & Taxable stayed the same for the 3rd year in a row. We figure out that the only reason why our SEV didn't drop was because of them being both the same. If our SEV drops, then our taxable has to as well and by golly our township wouldn't want that. But what's really frustrating is that there are other houses on our street whose SEV & Taxable values weren't the same, yet both the SEV & Taxable values dropped!

So why do some houses go up in taxable values, while other's stay the same and other's go down?!?

Needless to say I can't wait till we get to go our State Tax Tribunal!

Anonymous March 19, 2009 at 10:58 AM  

It's just me again. My husband once again went to the board of review regarding how our SEV & Taxable values are so off (we have proof as we had an apraisal done 1-2 years ago and also had a realtor tell us what it's worth) but once again we get a denial from our township saying our house is worth what they say it is. So while every house in Michigan goes down in value we are the only ones that actually have stayed the same. Go figure! Gotta love Blendon Township (west Michigan)


  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP