Detroit Comes Alive For A Few Days

>> Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Detroit was alive for a few days because it hosted the NCAA Final Four. Now its back to normal. Normal for Detroit means only a few people walking the downtown streets. The only time Detroit comes alive is during special events. Detroit isn't like other big cities such as Chicago or New York. Chicago and New York are alive every day. They have thousands of pedestrians walking around their downtown everyday. They don't need special events to bring a little life to their cities. They already have life every day. I think Detroit is dieing a slow death. I've watched it go downhill ever since the riots in 1968. People started moving into the suburbs to get away from the high crime rate. The crime rate has stayed the same and in some cases has even gotten worse, so Detroit's population keeps declining every year. Some say Detroit needs mass transit like Chicago and New York has. But I think mass transit is a result of a thriving city. Not a thriving city is a result of mass transit. I don't think there is any magic pill that will help Detroit. Maybe if the crime rate would go down. But that would require more police in a city that can't even afford to pay the police force they have now. I live about 5 miles outside Detroit, so I'm a little concerned that Detroit's problems might start becoming my city's problem as well. Hopefully I can sell my house this year and move to the Philippines with my wife and son. The last one out of Detroit, please turn out the lights.

7 comments:

Tina @ The Zoo Crew April 8, 2009 at 7:17 PM  

I'm only a few miles outside of Detroit also, and we have been seeing a steady decline in our area for the past several years. The sad thing is that there really is no way we can sell our house in this market. I sure wish we'd have gotten out when I wanted to years ago. Unfortunately, I was alone in the desire. Now, I feel trapped here. I have wanted to be out of the city and in the country ever since my kids were little. It seems less and less of a reality now. Our house used to be worth $170K. Now, it's listed for $70K, and that's still too much. There was a house in our neighborhood that sold for $20K. It's just crazy!

Harrison April 8, 2009 at 11:08 PM  

Thanks for visiting my blog. My parents lived in Detroit before it went up in flames after MLK was murdered. Their neighborhood was declining fast in the mid-60s and they swore they'd never return.

The loss of the industrial base after the post-WW2 boom and migration killed that city. Of course, the mayor and his text messaging fetishes seems like a boob.

Tina @ The Zoo Crew April 9, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

It has been a LONG time since there was a good mayor. It had to be before my time, that's for sure.

Mrs Sweetwater April 11, 2009 at 10:09 AM  

I love how you get all these comments from NON DETROITERS.

If You are From DETROIT, and LIVE IN DETROIT HOLD YOUR HAND UP. I LIVE IN 48201, what's YOUR ZIPCODE Dearie ?

please hurry and leave Roseville, because there's enough crime out that way that we don't need your false claims damaging DETROIT.

and Stop REPPIN a town you don 't IVE IN.
Harrison You NEVER Lived in DETROIT So STOP Lyin.

MLK Had nothing to do with the Detroit Riots; it was all about White Flight: from scared hateful racist folks like YOU. Be Honest and Admit It 40 years later Please. fyi I was around IN Detroit When the Riots Happened.

wowww, when will YOU NON Detroit People, get a clue and support the city that pays 100 times more in TAXES than than you ever will in Roseville; to support you being part of a metroplex.

now tell me, I'm wrong

Bob April 11, 2009 at 1:35 PM  

Ok I'm telling you are wrong. I lived in metroDtroit all my life, I even lived in Detiot for a while before the race riots. White flight happened as a result of the race riots and crime by hateful young black kids. That's why whites and blacks to left Detroit and they are still leaving. You think people want to live among all the crime and violence when they can live in peace in the suburbs dearie? You think businesses want to be located in Detroit when they are getting robbed and burned out? and quit lieing about Detroiters paying 100 times more taxes than the people from the suburbs. The only thing you're right about is Martin Luther King had nothing to do with the race riots. MLK always promoted non-violent protest. The truth is the hatred of blacks against whites was the reason for the race riots. I'm am white and never discriminated against blacks, but have been victimized by black hatred, so I know first hand about it dearie.

Mea Culpa Bath and Body April 14, 2009 at 8:47 AM  

lol...if the city of Detroit payed as much taxes as we do, their roads would be in perfect condition! Instead - us "non detroiters" ruin our cars and motorcycles trying to drive through the areas that are under the Detroits jurisdiction


Anywaaaaayyyys.....Bob, have you thought what are you gonna do for living if you move to your wifes country? I am asking, cuz I am dying to move out of here and go back home too

Bob April 14, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

To Mea Culpa, I'm retired now so I don't plan to do any work in the future but my wife wants to have s small retail business there.


  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP